Thursday, January 28, 2010

The State of the Union.

I am progressive Republican that likes President Obama. I think he is one of the best speakers the American Presidency has ever seen. I am a teacher currently on service learning trip with my students in Panama. My concern is about global competition Mr. President. If we continue to leverage our debt to other countries like China will we continue to have the same standard of living that we now experience? This question is meant to be constructive criticism. I am concerned about the future of my students and my five children. When I speak with people in Panama I get the impression that the United States is in an economic slide.
 
I am very impressed with the way that you have tackled your own party and political interests that will benefit the country, but not your political career. When I say that I was referring to examples like the Cadillac tax on health care which unions oppose and the pharmaceutical tax which corporate interest would fight. Of course, as a republican I think the trial attorneys should have some kind of incentive to curb defensive medicine practices, but you are steering through a mine field better than I could have. My advice to you is read about the life of Abraham Lincoln in the book, “Team of Rivals”. Lincoln was able to balance competing interests in a different time when information was not instantaneous. Your task is much harder. I pray that you will be able to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment